Dear Fredon Families and Friends,
Wow - can you believe it's the Memorial Day Weekend??? The month of May has truly swept through so quickly - it's been hard to find time to stop and smell the fresh spring air!! Let me point out some of the great things that have been happening here at Fredon School.
* After finishing up the second year of PARCC Testing (and quite impressively I might add), this month started out with honor and appreciation for our amazing Fredon teachers. To mark this year's Teacher Appreciation Week, student messages were read for all teachers each morning of the week. They were truly special and acknowledged our staff for their outstanding efforts each day! And a BIG thanks to the Fredon PTC for the wonderful lunch they provided for our teachers and staff on the 5th.
* The Young Author's Celebration on May 4th was the culmination of hours of hard work and turned out to be a spectacular evening! Student stories and coming attraction movie trailers were featured, and the awards ceremony was outstanding in recognizing students for all their hard work and creativity. As I said to the audience at the conclusion of the night, it is so refreshing to see that creativity and genius in not dormant in the minds and spirits of our students. Beyond the formalities and mandates of assessments and reporting, our students have the opportunity to engage in finding their own voice and dreams through writing and expression. Thanks Mrs. Karl and Mrs. Arbolino for their efforts in working with the students, and to the FEF for their sponsorship and support!
* Our 4th grade students took part in the annual Drown Proofing Program with Mrs. Trusa, Ms. Radimer and their teachers at KRHS. This outstanding program is such an awesome benefit to our students - a great experience for all!
* On the 18th, we were all treated to the amazing musical and choral performances of our students at the Spring Concert. Mr. Aroune led the students in their vocal, instrumental and band ensemble performances. This year's program was fun, exciting, and the packed house of families and friends were an indication of the positive feelings song and music bring to our ears. We thank everyone for their warm support of our students and teachers, particularly in regard to our arts and performance programs.
* Speaking of arts, Mr. Vanderhoff, Mrs. Delaney and Mrs. Gallant volunteered their time to assist in creating another legacy to add to the halls of Fredon School.
The Square-1 Art Tile Mural located in the corridor of the side entrance, highlights the essence of our school spirit: Foxes, Hearts and Brilliant Colors. Special thanks to the students and families who took part in the efforts and sharing your creativity with all of us! The mural will be featured and recognized at June's BOE meeting on the 13th.
* Our school Spelling Bee was another wonderful event - as students competed for the opportunity to represent the district at the SBChampionships on. Students competed well and the five finalists spelled their hearts out. Great competition and tremendous school spirit. This year's champion was 6th grader Seve Cartagena.
Thanks to Mrs. Douglas for organizing a great bee.
*Our sixth graders enjoyed their Activity Night with their future classmates from the other regional sending districts at KRHS on the 20th. All had a chance to play volleyball, other games and even a session in the pool. Thanks to our students and teachers for a great night!
* 4th graders took the NJASK Science Assessment on the 25th. Having 99% attendance, we look forward to seeing another year of outstanding results.
* Finally, sending us off is the fantastic production of SHREK ! Students and their advisors, Mrs. Mulvihill, Mrs. Reed and Ms. Sanford have been working had for months on this amazing and fun performance #FredonKidsHaveTalent! Special thanks to Mrs. Cathy Higgins for all of her efforts with the production and the FEF for their continued support! The new Projection Screen offered to us by Mr. Chairiello and the KRHS Drama Department really helps in adding a new dynamic to our scenery options!
It's been a great month of what has been a very productive year here at Fredon School. I wish all of you a very happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend!